Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain between teeth. Not cured by paracetamol. Diagnosed with inflammation of gums. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I have pain in between 2 teeth in lower jaw area. Despite taking nurofen and paracetamol it does not go away. Have been to see a dentist this morning who took an xray and said there was a small area of decay to one side of the tooth but not enough to give me this amount of pain. Mentioned inflammation of the gums and pain when he pressed gland on the left side of my face. SOME tartar around base of tooth for which he recommended a visit of the hygienist but otherwise could not find a reason for the pain Asked me if I wanted some metronizadole which I do not like taking because of side effects.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Even though severe pain is not seen in decaying tooth but usually the pain is quit intense. I am saying this because even i have faced the same problem.
I advice you to use over the counter available antiseptic mouth wash like Listerune, twice to trice a day. Rapid relief of the pain you can go for sensodyne tooth paste. If the pain is not reduced by the above mentioned measures you can go for over the counter available analgesic medication.
Usually the pain will subside within 2 to 3 days.
I advice you to consider taking antibiotic for gum infection.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain between teeth. Not cured by paracetamol. Diagnosed with inflammation of gums. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
which analgesic do you recommend and which anti biotics are best for my problem?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 59 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
Consider taking analgesic only when the conservative approach fails. Any over the counter analgesic will be fine.
Metronidazole is good option gingivitis.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor