Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Having itching, burning and stinging on arm and wrist. Having bump on skin. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I am having horrible itching, burning & stinging on my right arm from just above the bend in my arm down to just past my wrist. The itching is not one that can be scratched. The skin on that arm has become leathery and has what feels like a layer of small bumps/pellets just under the skin. I do have one larger red bump that will not heal but will "scab" over. Driving me crazy & for me it will be a short trip.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

Based on the history i think it is contact dermatitis or some insect bite.

It will be great if you can recall something that you have come across that you usually wont and also the duration of the symptoms.

your symptoms are suggestive of contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches, such as: cosmetics, soaps, and detergents, dyes and other chemicals in clothing, rubber gloves, shampoos, antibiotics such as neomycin rubbed on the surface of the skin or any plants. In your case i think it might be seat in the hall or the cloths or the jacket.

Treatment for both includes washing with lots of water to remove any traces of the irritant that may remain on the skin. You should avoid further exposure to known irritants or allergens. In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area. I advice you not to scratch it as result in secondary infection.

Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. Overuse, even of low-strength over-the-counter products, may cause a skin condition should be used with caution.

You can also consider taking oral anti histamine which will be helpful as you have mentioned you have intense itching. These drugs are available as over the counter medication.

I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it continues to occur, consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor