Having headache, pain in arm and experiencing loss of appetite. What could be the problem?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had a worsening headache over the last two weeks, pain in my arms originally just my left but now also my right. I recently am experiencing a loss of appetite. A lot of lightheadedness and nausea as well. And just a feeling of not feeling right.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further investigation is needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Your collection of symptoms does not easily lead to a diagnosis. However, a headache lasting two weeks does need investigating. It may be related to the pain in your arms but this would be impossible to be certain about without further tests. I suggest you need a detailed history and examination so a visit to your doctor would be advisable. An MRI of your head and neck would help. From the results of this, a diagnosis may be possible. I hope this is of help to you. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow up: Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 minutes later
I have a CT scheduled tomorrow that my chiro ordered, so I am hoping to get some answers. You would think I would be more concerned with my headache, but my big concern is food. I love to eat, I use food for everything and to not have an appetite is what I am most worried about. Nothing at all even sounds good and when I do eat it makes me feel worse.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Wait to see result of CT. Further tests may help. Detailed Answer: Hi, I can understand your concern regarding your appetite. Persistant pain can cause a loss of appetite and if you are not eating this may lead to lightheadedness, so these symptoms could all be related. I think the best course of action would be to wait to see what your MRI shows. There may be something treatable which will result in an improvement in your pain. If it is normal, then I would suggest you need blood tests and possibly a lumbar puncture. This would rule out an infection as a cause of your headache and general malaise. Regards, Dr k A Pottinger