Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Having hard lumpon collar bone near throat. Should I go for specialist advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
hard lumpon collar bone near thorat but no pain. has been there about two years.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Such lump in this location can be due to enlarged lymph node, thyroid goiter, thyroid nodule, retrosternal thyroid , carotid body tumors and lastly cancerous tumor etc. Of these enlarge node is commonest possibility.

Since it has been there for two years, possibility of cancer is less likely. However keeping your age into consideration it warrants an examination of the lump by immediate PCP.

As there are multiple causes generally investigations are needed to know the underlying cause.

Investigations like sonography and if needed fine needle aspiration needs to be undertaken. This confirms the nature of the lump. Treatment can be planned after investigations.

So I think you should see your doctor sooner.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor