• question-icon

Having ear infection. Taking biaxin. Normal to have fever next day?

Posted on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am taking biaxin 500mg 2xaday....is it normal to have a fever on the second day of taking it??? I am taking it for a persistent ear infection.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. The fever will subside in next 2-3 days.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Biaxin contains Clarithromycin. It is normal to have a high grade fever while taking the antibiotics in case of bacterial infections.
This fever is likely to subside in next 3-4 days once the blood levels of antibiotic reach the optimum level after 5-6 doses. You can take a mild antipyretic like acetaminophen till then every 6 hourly after meals to control the symptoms.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN