Having dull type of ache on back below rib cage. Is it back issue or kidney issue?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been having a dull type of ache on my right side in the back that seems just below my rib cage, now it appears to be feeling the same on the left side….is it possibly that its a back issue or kidney related? I am becoming concerned. I have appointment for my yearly exam and plan on bringing the subject up….its not for two weeks and it worries me… XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: This might be possibly due to either of them Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Severe pain pain adjacent to the spine(right or left side) on the back just below the rib cage/above the hips can be due to presence of renal stone or kidney related problem. The pain occurs in waves. Dull aching pain which is continuous which becomes worse with movement and recurs after some activity can be due to some problems in muscles, nerves or joints of the spinal cord. This can still be simple back pain due which is a chronic pain in the middle or lower back after sitting or standing for extended periods. Stomach issues can cause back pain due to distension of stomach or abdominal obesity. In such a scenario, losing some weight helps. Taking calcium supplements can also help. More tests like X-ray of the back can be done to rule out back pain due to vertebral abnormalities, etc. Getting regular motions helps in cases of constipation. Thus if you can describe the quality of pain in detail I can help you better. Does the pain radiated lower down into buttocks/thighs? Hope this answers your query. Keep us posted for further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj