Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having dull type of ache on back below rib cage. Is it back issue or kidney issue?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1055 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been having a dull type of ache on my right side in the back that seems just below my rib cage, now it appears to be feeling the same on the left side….is it possibly that its a back issue or kidney related? I am becoming concerned. I have appointment for my yearly exam and plan on bringing the subject up….its not for two weeks and it worries me… XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: This might be possibly due to either of them Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Severe pain pain adjacent to the spine(right or left side) on the back just below the rib cage/above the hips can be due to presence of renal stone or kidney related problem. The pain occurs in waves. Dull aching pain which is continuous which becomes worse with movement and recurs after some activity can be due to some problems in muscles, nerves or joints of the spinal cord. This can still be simple back pain due which is a chronic pain in the middle or lower back after sitting or standing for extended periods. Stomach issues can cause back pain due to distension of stomach or abdominal obesity. In such a scenario, losing some weight helps. Taking calcium supplements can also help. More tests like X-ray of the back can be done to rule out back pain due to vertebral abnormalities, etc. Getting regular motions helps in cases of constipation. Thus if you can describe the quality of pain in detail I can help you better. Does the pain radiated lower down into buttocks/thighs? Hope this answers your query. Keep us posted for further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Constipation

doctor1 MD

I am a 48-year-old, Caucasian female. I have been experiencing constipation alternating with diarrhea . There is always a pinkish to red mucus discharge with the bowel movement . This can be seen in the stool or separate - such as when I have diarrhea - and then the mucus is actually separate from the stool. It appears in a blob or ball like formation, kind of fluffy, and can range from pink to red in color. I am a cancer survivor (cervical/uterine and Thyroid). Recently (2011) diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis . I currently work for a physician but do not wish to ask. Any information - and I know it is not a diagnosis - would be appreciated.

doctor1 MD

i have been suffering from chronic constipation , bloated stomach and always burping for 3 years from now. i just lose bowel after 2 to 3 days but im not still satisfied with the stool i release. sometimes it s long and sometimes short that makes me discomfort. Just this june i was diagnosed as HIV positive and i suspect that this long term disease that i got is ileocecal TB since it s an infection or opportunistic infection can be brought by the virus itself. I undergone colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 years ago but still the doctor couldn t find what s the cause of this chronic constipation and the like. That s why i suspect it s ileocecal TB. pls. advise me doc what to do. tnx and more power...

doctor1 MD

I got my periods regular. ..did d pregnancy test twice...result is neg...did d test cuz f nausia constipation n vomiting sensation. I feel m pregnant...wad du I du...m unmarried n I du nt want to kp baby....temmi b best n sweet dr...few drs r vry aggressive related to dis....sugg me the medicine

doctor1 MD

Thank you. I went to ER yesterday and was told that I have sever constipation. They took xrays. My upper left abdomen is distended. I was told take a bottle of miralax and split it between 2 bottles of gatorade. I did that at 1pm. The only thing I have passed is water.

doctor1 MD

Is it true that a breast feed baby is normal to not have a bowel movement in 5 to 7 days

doctor1 MD

I have cirrhosis . I have been told it is moderate to severe. I have the common conditions that go with it. Very low platelet count . (numerous esophageal bandings) I am not a new-comer to this affliction. These are the things that have been...

doctor1 MD

pristiq desvenlafaxine 100 mg and sandomigran 500 mcg what side effects can there be