question-icon

How improve bowel movements in my breastfeeding baby?

Posted on Mon, 27 Jan 2014
Question: Is it true that a breast feed baby is normal to not have a bowel movement in 5 to 7 days
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Constipation causes to breastfeeding babies. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Usually, breastfeeding babies will stay up to 7 days without passing the motion. However, Candida infection and hirschprung syndrome should be excluded. I'd suggest to do some testing first such as - culture of stool for candida - controlling the function of rectal muscles and/ or other tests as directed by the gi pediatrician. I'd advise : - you should drink more water; -eat more fiber rich foods to help your baby improve bowel motion. Wishing her fast recovery Dr.Sonila
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sonila Borici

Pediatrician, Pulmonology