Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

142 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having bulging discs in neck. Feeling electrical shocks from back to skull. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have bulging discs in my neck. I seem to get these electrical like painful charges that seem to b going thru the back of the base of my skull to the top. I do have these same electrical shocks in my heart as well
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve compressions Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The elctrical discharges that you are talking about are actually pain due to nerve root compression. There are nerve roots leaving between the vertebra and when there is a disk bulge or compression of intervertebral space , the nerve roots gets pressed and this leads to this kind of pain. Although physiotherapy is the main line of treatment to reduce yhe compression medically amitryptiline and carbamazepine are good drugs to reduce the discomfort. Ibhave many patients who are not ready to get operated and doing well on these drugs. Pregabalin is another new drug in this list. You can discuss these options with your pain management specialists. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Spinal disc herniation

doctor1 MD

spinal fusion. I had my s1 l5 l4 fused in Sept and I have not had a day with no pain is that normal I feel like once the Dr did surgery I get no help from their office and lately my pain had been so bad I almost went to er the other night. should I get another MRI or is this normal? also I have a lump that is 12 cm side to Side and 7 cm up and down next to my insion on my stomach had cat scan ultra sound and laperscopic surgery and had six Dr look at it and not know what it is. please help me.

doctor1 MD

hip and quad pain I just had a lumbar laminectomy and discectomy done 6 weeks ago. I told my neurologist about my quads hurting really bad like an achey cramp. Also, they burn a little along with my hips while they hurt too. The legs feel very heavy and weak. Sometimes I have hard time walking and I stumble a lot with tripping over very small items. My calves are slowly starting to feel the same as my quads. He thinks it is because my lower back muscles were cut. I told him they were like this 6 months to a year prior to the surgery and it feels to be progressively getting worse. They don t feel like this all the time. It usually lasts from one day to two weeks. All he did was just give me muscle relaxers. The reason for the surgery is for eight years I have had degenerative disc disease, bulging discs, herniated disc, sciatica, and spinal stenosis. I am a white 33 year old male and weigh 219 pounds. My question is, what can it be?

doctor1 MD

Is it a dangerous condition to have a bulging disc at L4-L5 and a herniated disc at L5-s1 both of which are compressing the thecal sac. Patients symptoms are intermittent back pain and intermitten pain on left side of buttock and mild pain in left foot

doctor1 MD

HI I have a cervical disc herniation at c5-c6 which is also impinging the spinal canal. The pain I felt was in my left arm. Lately I have started feeling some pain radiating at the back of my right leg (from my tight to knee to calf). Could this pain be related or is it something else related to the lower back?

doctor1 MD

What meds are useful for muscle cramps in feet and legs

doctor1 MD

I a looking for a really great back doctor. I need a hip replacement ,but after MRI my doctor will not do it until I see a back doctor. He said I have a couple of bulging discs and wantsto make sure that doesn't need to be done first. I have been...

doctor1 MD

I was in ER recently for severe back pain which was making me almost pass out and throw up. A bone specialist said CT imaging showed bones look fine, no kidney stones were evident, and blood and urine analyses did not show renal impairment....