Having bulging discs in neck. Feeling electrical shocks from back to skull. What should I do?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have bulging discs in my neck. I seem to get these electrical like painful charges that seem to b going thru the back of the base of my skull to the top. I do have these same electrical shocks in my heart as well
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve compressions Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The elctrical discharges that you are talking about are actually pain due to nerve root compression. There are nerve roots leaving between the vertebra and when there is a disk bulge or compression of intervertebral space , the nerve roots gets pressed and this leads to this kind of pain. Although physiotherapy is the main line of treatment to reduce yhe compression medically amitryptiline and carbamazepine are good drugs to reduce the discomfort. Ibhave many patients who are not ready to get operated and doing well on these drugs. Pregabalin is another new drug in this list. You can discuss these options with your pain management specialists. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E