Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Having back pain after car accident. Which medicine should I take?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I have back pain from a car accident a couple of months ago. Can i get a prescription from a doctor here?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Hi and wecome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests. As you've had a serious trauma -- such as a car accident, your doctor will want to take a serious look at your back pain.

X-ray are taken to look for fractures. If no fractures are found, you may manage your pain with medication and later your recovery with physical therapy.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having back pain after car accident. Which medicine should I take? 1 hour later
After the accident I had x-rays taken and I was the time I had insurance so this was all covered. No fractures were found and my doctor told me I had whiplash from my head jerking forward and he prescribed me muscle relaxers and hydrocodone. I also saw a chiropractor every week for the first month after the accident in the hopes that adjustments would help. I lost my insurance recently and I cannot renew my prescription for pain meds without seeing a doctor. I stopped taking the muscle relaxers because I couldn't work while taking them and they really didn't seem to help much. The hydrocodone helped and I'm hoping I can get another prescription to help me get through until I am completely healed. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

In many cases, whiplash will eventually get better on its own or after some basic treatment.

However, sometimes whiplash can cause a number of severe and troublesome symptoms that last for a long time.

Whiplash that lasts for six months or more is sometimes known as chronic whiplash or late whiplash syndrome.

If you have whiplash, it is important you keep your neck mobile by doing some gentle neck exercises.

Your neck may be painful, but keeping it mobile from an early stage will improve its functionality and speed up your recovery. Any pain you experience when moving your neck is normal and will not cause further damage.

I cannot prescribe you hydrocodone , a stronger pain killer without examine you personally. Your GP will be able to prescribe you this drug after examine you.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor