Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Having asthma and feeling breathless. Had spirimotry that was normal. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1115 Questions
Hi my mother died at 63 with coad and my brother 55 died earlier this year with ruptured bulla I have had asthma for 25years ex smoker I am 53 and becoming more breathless on exertion I can't manage my job at the moment ( midwife ) this morning I had a spirimotry that was normal fev1 79% and post 80% I am going to see my gp this afternoon should I ask him for a referral to a chest physician ? My mother and brother were told it was asthma for years !
Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
I recommend you go to a lung physician for various reasons: you're asthmatic, ex-smoker, have difficulty breathing,your FEV1 is in the limit (ideally over 80%) and have a family history of emphysema-bulla.There are two types of COPD: chronic bronchitis and emphysema-bulla.Chronic Bronchitis is related to smoke and emphysema-bulla is related to inherited genetic defect.Consequently you have risk factors for both pathologies and is necessary to be seen by a lung physician as soon as possible.After established the diagnosis, you will feel better with right treatment.
I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having asthma and feeling breathless. Had spirimotry that was normal. Treatment? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks to you.At your disposal.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor