Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Having a bruise in the bottom of foot. Intense pain. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I've got a bruise on the bottom of my foot today. I fell 3 days ago on the same foot. I was in intense pain immediately after and when I went home, which improved. I am able to walk with the leg, but there is a major bruise.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for the good quality picture. By the appearance of the lesion as well as the mechanism of trauma, it appears as a small hematoma/echymosis (bruise) from the soft tissues of the foot sole. If you can bear weight and see no major deformity, it is unlikely to be a fracture. Ice compresses 3 times a day, an antiinflammatory such as naproxen or ibuprofen for 5 days, should make things gradually better; if they don't then I would encorage you to see a provider and perhaps obtain an x-ray, but probably not needed at this time.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor