Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Having Kidney stone problem. Stones too small to be surgically removed. USG test done. Suggest course of treatment

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9585 Questions
hi, i am a male 35 yr old. have been having kidney stone problems for the last six years. doctors here said that the size of the stones (largest 7 mm) were small for any surgical intervention.last night i had acute pain on my right side. usg report indicates a 13 mm stone at mid ureter(at the level of iliac vessel crossing). moderate degree of hydronephrosis and ureteric dilatation observed. multiple bilateral renal non calyceal caculi (largest being 6 mm).
request suggest course of treatment. what is the best option available in india to remove this 13 mm stone vis a vis the position of the stone. at present despite the stone being in the ureter i have no pain and the flow of urine is normal. regards.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 53 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Bilateral Urolithiasis.

You had acute pain in Rt Loin. This pain is due to the 13 mm stone obstructed at the junction of lower and middle 1/3 of the ureter.

Normally there is no pain due to stone itself but when stone gets obstructed in the ureter there is obstruction to the flow of urine from kidney to Bladder and urine gets accumulated in ureter proximal to the site of obstruction resulting in to dilatation of ureter and kidney what is called as Hydronephrosis. The pain is due to this hydronephrosis.

Aim of the treatment in such a situation is to relieve pain and to save the kidney from further damage. This is achieved by doing endoscopic procedure called Ureterorenoscopy (URS).

In this procedure, stone is fragmented either by lesser energy or pneumatic lithotripsy and the flow of the urine from kidney to bladder is restored. This is being done even in smaller towns in India by Urologist or trained general surgeons.

As regards stone in left kidney as they are non obstructing they can be left alone and expected to pass through normal urinary passage in few months.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor