Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Haver fluid in ear, getting popping sound. Taking claritin D and nasonex. Cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Hello I have had fluid in my ear for over a month now and just last night started to have popping sounds. If I squeeze my eyes shutoff sounds and feels a little like a wet suction. After that it sounds like a carbonted drink for 10 seconds. Carbonation sound much worse when pulling on outer ear. The ear constantly feels wet. Already taking Claritin D and Nasonex. This is incredibly distracting. Please Help.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I do feel you are having Eustachian tube catarrh.

The popping sound is because of the noise made during opening and closing of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

My suggestion to you is to stop using Claritin-D, because, both Claritin-D as well as nasonex are decongestants and using both will hinder in the process of clearance of middle ear fluid. Nasonex alone will suffice, also use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day along with nasonex. Saline spray keeps the mucosa moist, helps in easy clearance of the middle ear secretions by opening up of the Eustachian tube.

Apart form the above medications, you need to drink plenty of warm water. Warm water increases the blood supply to the tissues and reduces the nasal congestion and congestion around the opening of the Eustachian tube.

Also, do steam inhalalation 3-4 times a day. This also helps in the similar way as the saline spray does. Avoid smoking and coffee, chilled food and beverages.

Do not worry! With the above medications and measures you will definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor