Have type 2 diabetes and kidney removed. What diet should be taken?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: My husband has type 2 diabetes which has been under control for 3 yrs...then had one Kidney removed 6 mths. ago because of cancerous growth. How can he control his diet for both of these...what can he eat and what can he use/eat sometimes. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello thanks for writing to us.

The first condition of your husband that is nephrectomy (removal of kidney) for cancer does not need any dietary restriction, if his other kidney's functions are normal.

However Diabetes need some dietary restriction, but there are literally lot of foods your husband can eat though he is having diabetes. His nutritional needs do not differ great from non-diabetics. However there is difference in some food that adversely affect his blood glucose, these food he needs to restrict. His goal should be to keep his blood sugar level stable on consistent basis.

The important principle in dietary restriction is to restrict the number of calories he eats and simple carbohydrates are full of sugar and calories; restrict these foods from his diet as much as possible. Sources include soda, candy, sweetened cereals and flavored water. Read food labels when you shop; anything ending in ose is his enemy. Fructose sucrose and lactose, honey powdered sugar, confectionary sugar is among some items to avoid.

Saturated fats are another type of food to be avoided. These food include red meat, whole -fat diary and eggs. These fats are high calories and increase his risk of high cholesterol and heart disease ,both of which tend to accompany diabetes. His diet should contain only 7% fats. While unsaturated fats like almonds, nuts, peanuts, cashew, sunflower oil, and olive oil are heart friendly but still high in calories and taken in consultation with his treating physician. Hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any more queries regarding your husband.

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E