Have tonsillitis. One crypts is removed by own. Any danger?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi It has come to my attention that I have some tonsiliths, (tonsil stones) I can sometimes tell that they are there by a taste in my mouth, and I look and see nothing. But i just removed one from one of the crypts in my mouth using a XXXXXXX pin. I am afraid to stick this in my throat again tho, as it may do damage, how ever I want to make sure I dont have anymore hiding..... I gargle in the shower every day, but I want to do more.....what can me done??

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The presence of a tonsillolith can only be ascertained by palpation of the tonsillar crypts by a finger.This procedure will cause discomfort and becomes a mode of transferring infection to the tonsils if no sterile precautions taken. I would recommend a regular visit to your treating doctor who can with aseptic precautions examine and rule out the presence of stones. You should not reattempt with pins and manipulate it.

Do not attempt to remove the stones on your own, you can inflict injuries which can get infected and cause recurrent stones or chronic tonsillitis. The same has to be done under medical supervision.

One of the important and common cause for occurrence of stones and one of the complications causing symptoms due to stones is bacterial infections.Daily gargling with salt water or antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE will prevent infections and hence the formation of stones.

Hope I answered your query.Please let me know if there are any other concerns.