Have tonsil problem and excessive secretion of saliva. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello Doctor ;

I'm a student .I have a tonsil/salivey gland problem.Over secretion of saliva is giving me hard time .Can u help me please?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
The condition you are suffering from is called Sialorrhea.
It can have varied causes like tonsillitis , adenoid hypertrophy , salivary gland inflammation , medication sideffects to serious causes like tumours , neuromuscular disorders etc .
In order to be able to guide you better and come to the most probable diagnosis kindly provide details about your problem , like ,
1. Onset duration and progress of your problem ( recent or long standing )?
2. Any other associated symptom Sinusitis , acid reflux , fever , oral ulcer etc?
3. Any past medical illness or any medicines you are taking for any current illness ?
4. whether you have been examined and investigated for the same by a doctor ?

I assume that you have no significant illnesses and considering your age the most probable cause does seem to be a inflammatory enlargement of adenoids or salivary glands causing this problem . In that case the best step would be to get yourself evaluated by a Oral or ENT surgeon ( otolaryngologist ) to get a confirmed diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be started .
The doctor might start you on anticholinergic medicines like glycopyrrolate or scopolamine to provide some relief .
In case there is any more information you need to share please feel free to do so.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for follow up queries.
In case you have no further queries kindly accept my answer to close the query .
Awaiting your response,