Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

154 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have tonsil problem and excessive secretion of saliva. How to get rid of this?

Answered by
Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1528 Questions

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello Doctor ;

I'm a student .I have a tonsil/salivey gland problem.Over secretion of saliva is giving me hard time .Can u help me please?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The condition you are suffering from is called Sialorrhea.
It can have varied causes like tonsillitis , adenoid hypertrophy , salivary gland inflammation , medication sideffects to serious causes like tumours , neuromuscular disorders etc .
In order to be able to guide you better and come to the most probable diagnosis kindly provide details about your problem , like ,
1. Onset duration and progress of your problem ( recent or long standing )?
2. Any other associated symptom Sinusitis , acid reflux , fever , oral ulcer etc?
3. Any past medical illness or any medicines you are taking for any current illness ?
4. whether you have been examined and investigated for the same by a doctor ?

I assume that you have no significant illnesses and considering your age the most probable cause does seem to be a inflammatory enlargement of adenoids or salivary glands causing this problem . In that case the best step would be to get yourself evaluated by a Oral or ENT surgeon ( otolaryngologist ) to get a confirmed diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be started .
The doctor might start you on anticholinergic medicines like glycopyrrolate or scopolamine to provide some relief .
In case there is any more information you need to share please feel free to do so.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for follow up queries.
In case you have no further queries kindly accept my answer to close the query .
Awaiting your response,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Glycopyrrolate

doctor1 MD

Excessive sweating on palm and foot since childhood. It's been always father also has this problem. I tried homeopathy for 3-4 months but it didn't work out.My hand and foot are always wet.this never happens in December and...

doctor1 MD

I am constantly sweating on my head. My hair drips sweat even I am just seating on the couch. is there any type of deodorant or shampoo I could use to control this a bit?

doctor1 MD

i am getting more sweat if I am not under fan or AC, when compared to others.... immediately it starts sweating when I am not with fan or AC, in course of time my entire shirt is filled with is much embarrassing in front of other...

doctor1 MD

In April, 2013 I had a gallstones attack (my 2nd attack in maybe 5-7 years) and an emergency room dr prescribed me Glycopyrrolate 1 mg tab, qty 12 tabs. Since 4/13 I took 1 when I felt allot of discomfort and I thought I was about ready to have a gallbladder attack. After I took 1 my relief was just about immediate and the discomfort gone. The past few or so days I been having the same discomfort; I feel an attack might come on do you think I could take 1 tab? I m also taking generic bactrim ds tab for a bladder infection plus earlier I had to take a tension headache tab (generic imitrex). Please help. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

My husband has ALS Bulbar Onset. He has been taking Atropine for excess saliva, but his pharmacy has declined to refill his prescription, saying that the FDA has not approved it for this use. Would Glycopyrrolate be an appropriate substitute for this? Or what would be an appropriate substitute for the Atropine drops?

doctor1 MD

I have been on a fentlyl patch for quite awhile, my dr. switched me to a butran patch. My major problem is getting the patches (either kind) to stay on my skin. I sweat profusely and even with a tegaderm patch over it it comes off. Is there any way to make sure the patch remains on my skin, it doesn't seem to matter where I put it?My skin is as extremely sensitive and is starting to bliste r. I'm so upset that I can't keep the patches on this has been a true pain releiver (fentyl) and now I can't seem to keep either one on I have fibromyalgia

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is AAAAA I am pregnant and this is my 7th child. Every pregnancy I get excessive Saliva which leads to severe nausea and vomiting I was told for years there was nothing I could take for this. During my 6th child A doctor I spoke to said there is something that I can take while I am pregnant. I also get alot of postnasal drip which doesn't help the situation. Now I am on my 7th child and my doc prescribed something called ondansetron 4 mg, vitamin b-6 25 mg and something called ultra sleep 25mg tablets. When I tried to tell them that when I was pregnant with my 5th child all I took was one pill a day and the name of it started with a D. I can't remember the name but I am so upset that My doctor doesn't know what I am talking about and is offering me all of these other medications. So my question is the medication starts with a D and it is primarily used for excessive saliva. Do you happen to know what I am talking about? I am 2 months pregnant and I am miserable without this med.