Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have tietze syndrome with cold and cough. Noticed black specks in mucus. X-ray done. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
I have been coughing up brown spacks in mucus for quite a while. been to my doctor who ordered chest xrays and didn't seem overly concerned. in the past after a cold i have had blood with it too, but that usually goes away once the cold is over. i recently have gotten over a cold again and the mucus i cough up is bloody sometimes and the brown specks are there as always. there is also a pain in my left chest that the doctor has done tests for and ruled out my heart and everything else. he dianosed me with tietze symdrom. i smoke marijuana daily and was wondering if i should even waste a trip back to the doctor, i mean i have been gone through all this with him before, but everytime i cough up blood with the brown specks i get worried and search the net.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 50 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having recurrent episodes of cough and cold sometimes associated with streaky hemoptysis (blood in sputum).

2. There has to be some lung lung involvement in addition to teitze syndrome for blood to be coughed.

3. Its a good news that your heart is normal.

4. You need to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail. There is a possibility of you suffering from COPD with Bronchiectasis (left sided) with repeated secondary infections which give rise to repeated episodes of blood in cough. Investigations that may be required are pulmonary function test, chest xray and HRCT scan of the thorax. Thus you need a good course of antibiotics, probably inhaled broncho dilators and blood stopping medications.

5. It is therefore advised that you visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated as soon as possible and please do not neglect your symptoms.

6. Also please stop smoking as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor