Have temporary loss of hearing. How does it affect the body?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor: I have a temporary loss of hearing that comes and goes. I was hit with ultra high frequency (300mhz to 400mhz) that you can not hear. The cause is a temporary feeling of hearing loss like the ear is full of water, or plug up. When I scratch around the ear and down the neck I get the sound of a echo up the nerve in the ear. How is the frequency closing up my ear so I can't hear? affecting the nerve, constrict the blood artery, or constrict the muscles.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hearing loss is classified as conductive or sensorineural. Conductive hearing loss is caused by anything that decreases the transmission of sound from the outside world to the cochlea (this is part of the ear that is actually the end organ in hearing).
Sensorineural hearing loss can result from disruptions at or after the cochlea, it can also result from problems with the nerve involved in hearing.

Doctors normally perform certain examinations to determine which type of hearing loss is present.

Noise induced hearing loss is a common cause of sensorineural hearing loss. It results from damage to the cochlea, this would be the reason for your hearing loss.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
Hi Doctor: To be more specific, when this frequency hits my ear I lose hearing completely in one ear. Within one or two days my hearing comes back to normal, and when I get hit with the frequency again I lose it completely again. My question is have you done any study on what causes this temporary loss? What is this frequency doing? Is it hitting the nerve, the muscle, or constricting the blood vessel? What ever it is doing, it is only blocking up the ear temporary. The cure for me is to find out who in my neighborhood is using a high frequency transmitter.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Hi, hearing is not related to muscles or blood vessels mainly. It is related to anything obstructing the passage of sound to the inner ear (a mass or wax) or any damage to the cochlea , 8th cranial nerve or brain.
So the hearing loss cannot be related to an acute event with either muscles or blood vessels..
The loss of hearing is related to the cochlea, it is unlikely that it is causing acute damage to the nerve or brain.

Temporary hearing loss has been documented previously but the assault on your ears continues it increases the risk that it may eventually become permanent.

You can consider visiting your ENT specialist, if possible, for an assessment.