Have swollen and red labia minora. Should I use the cream for yeast infection?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi, my right labia minora is really swollen like a balloon, it does not itch or burn when I peed. I also just took a shower n it is still very swollen and red. Do you think yeast infection cream can help? I don't know what to do.. My doctor is not available at this time. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
A big swelling of the labia minora can be due to-
1. Rough intercourse causing vulvovaginitis
2. Vaginitis either fungal or trichomonial
3. Bartholin abscess This is a swelling arising from a small gland in your labia majora due to infection or blockage of it's duct. However nothing can be said for sure until & unless you see a Gynecologist in person & get yourself evaluated. Diagnosis is usually clinical but your doctor may like to take some "swab tests" to rule out the possibility of an STD.
4. Herpes lesion
However it would be very difficult to be confirm without local examination.
Local application of yeast infection creams are not likely to help you much. Systemic antibiotics are needed for the proper treatment.
See a health care provider for local examination & proper treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.