What is a partial volvectomy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: What is a partial Volvectomy?
What is a Bilateral Labiaectomy?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
alterations to external genitalia

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thanks for using healthcare magic

A partial vulvectomy is a procedure to remove part of the vulva.

The vulva refers to the external genitalia. It consists of mons, labia majora , labia minora, clitoris, urethra, vestibule.

A vulvectomy refers to removal of some aspect of one or more of these structures.

Labia reduction is normally referred to as labiaplasty.
Labia ectomy implies removal of the labia,bilateral would indicate both sides are being removed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
What is the Labia. ?
As for the vulva - does the surgery destroy the sexual feelings from it?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the two areas to either side of the vulva

Detailed Answer:
HI

In the female, the external genitalia have labia majora and labia minora.

The labia majora are larger than than labia minora . The majora are on the outside, the 2 parts on the outside , at each side.
The minora are inner to them.
If you can put labia majora and labia minora into your google image seach engine it may help , if difficult to visualize.

The vulva is made up of a number of different parts mentioned previously.
Any change in sexual sensation would depend on the part that it operated upon.

The clitoris, one of the many parts of the vulva, plays a major role in female organsms. If there is no change to this structure, then there may be no change in sensations.