Owl Image

Have swelling and pain in vagina after urination. What is the problem?

Urologist
Question
My grand daughter of 15 months old has suddenly been comply complaining of pain at the vaginal area in spurts. She has been very play fool and full of energy. This pain occurs mostly in the evening and at times immediately after urination. She has no temperature or unwell XXXXXXX Took her to a local doctor who has given two theories:

1. UTI : for which urine sample has been sent for routine tests and culture. Report is likely to come by tomorrow. She as also been asked to take alkacytrol type of medicine till then. She has been taking it for the sat one day. No improvement.
2. Secondly he observed that she has relatively a smaller pee hole which possibly needs a mall surgery. This is worrisome and I am not dry convinced since she passes urine normally and in good quantity. Do you think such problem could be dur to this also.

Please advice what should we do immediately?

Other information are as under:

She is using diaper and being changed frequently. After this problem, we are avoiding diaper as much as possible.
The vaginal area is slightly swollen and lightly reddish.
When in pain she cries holding or scratching the vaginal area.

Thanks
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 27 minutes later
Dear,

It seems that your grand daughter is having urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infection in children can lead to long term consequences in the children. You should immediately consult urologist for her treatment and start her on antibiotics. she shall probably require to be on antibiotics for prolonged duration. Besides urine c/s I will also be keen to get ultrasound of the abdomen done on her.

Don't worry about the small pee hole and don't let anybody fiddle with it; no surgery to be done.

You can apply locally any antifungal cream for the time being so that her local pain and swelling reduce. Stop using Betnovate N. Urinary tract infection can get worsened with constipation; hence give her high fibre diet (papaya) so that her constipation improves.

Maintain local hygiene, see urologist and start on antibiotics. Urologist may have to investigate her further beyond the tests I have mentioned.

All the best.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Follow-up: Have swelling and pain in vagina after urination. What is the problem? 30 minutes later
Dear Dr. Goel

Thanks for your advice. Can you please advise/suggest name of an experienced and reputed Urologist for toddler in Mumbai (Chembur/New Mumbai/Vasi Area) who can help us diagnose the actual problem and treatment can be started without losing time?

best regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 9 minutes later

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Best Wishes.