Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pain in the right scrotum when diagnosed with epididymitis?

Question
I was diagnosed with epididymitis about six weeks ago. I had several shots, and took Cipro. It seemed to be cleared up. Yesterday, pain in my right scrotum and groin returned. Last night, the pain was so severe that I could not sleep until about 5am. I would have gone to the ER, but was snowed in (Atlanta, we don't handle snow well). I woke up about 8:30 and the pain is gone. There is only very slight tenderness in my scrotum and none in my right groin. How can this be?
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to the residual inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

It is possible that you had epididymitis due to a viral cause. Irrespective of the cause, as the infection is clearing out the pain has almost subsided.

However, due to the residual inflammation, you have felt some pain on one side today even though it was not there yesterday. This is quite possible and as the residual inflammation subsides the remaining pain would soon be gone.

Let me know if I could help further.