Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Have stomach bug and experienced irregular heartbeat. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
i have a stomach bug at the moment contracted throught work i am a teacher, and this morning i experienced an irregular heartbeat, it was a fluttering feeling , i have had irregular heartbeats since i was 17 but this one lasted about 10 to 15 seconds, my hearbeat did not increase nor did i feel faint just felt anxious and worried
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Many individuals do suffer from irregular rhythm and not all are concerning irregularities. You did not mentioned if you were investigated in the past, but since you have had these for the last 17 years without much difficulty, it is more likely minor and not concerning ones.

In such circumstances, any kind of infections is known to increase heart rate (tachycardia). In a normal person this increase always has a regular rhythm - described as sinus tachycardia. However you've had fluttering/irregular heart beat lasting a bit longer than normal.

As the last episode was not similar to your previous episode ideally the next step is to get an EKG and Holter studies done. The reports will analyse the heart rate and rhythm and tell us how concerned we need to be.

Now that you are alright, there is no need to panic. Please proceed to fix an appointment with your cardiologist and get the aforementioned tests done.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have any doubts/concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor