Have stage 4 lung cancer. Is hemp oil safe to use along with warfarin?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I have stage 4 lung cancer. I am on warfarin for blood clots. My chemo has been delayed because of complications so I have started to ingest a drop of hemp oil containing thc and wonder about the contraindications. The type of cancer that I have is an extremely aggresive type. The fluid in my pericardial sac was also found to be malignant. Also clots found on both lungs. Is hemp oil containing thc safe to use in conjunction with warfarinPlease advise
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

As you know this type of lung cancer is very aggressive. You're currently receiving treatment at this point which includes chemotherapy as you know. Regarding the hemp oil which you have been using at a low-dose there is not any major interaction or contraindication to using this during treatment. It also should not have a significant effect on your blood clotting system.

It is very important that you share this with your oncologist so they can note this if there's any change in your laboratory results.

Again there is no major contraindication to using hemp oil at this time.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that you would like to discuss.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert