Have severe itching on elbow, hands and legs. Looking for home remedy

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I have severe itching problem for about last 2 weeks. Started with on elbows, then hands & legs. now on the back, lower back, thighs etc. Can you please recommend any home remedy.

Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
There are several causes of itching and common cause of itching are:-
- Dry skin
-Generalized itching without specific skin changes include metabolic problems like cholestasis(obstructive jaundice),
-Reactions to drugs,insect stings and bites such as from mosquito or flea bites,
-Fungal infection psoriasis,ringworm,
-Scabies which is a highly contagious skin problem caused by scabies mite,
-Stress and anxiety can also result in or aggravate itch.
So here it is important to find the cause of your itch and treatment will be according to the cause.
Presently since your symptoms are disturbing your day today life you can take medicines like Loratidine(Claritin) or Benadryl(diphenhydramine).
Locally anti itch lotions like diphenhydramine or Caladryl shall help reduce the itching. You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment or aloe vera gel for relief.
In case the itch is persistent then it will be better to consult a Dermatologist and get yourself examined and if needed investigated.
He will diagnose your problem and treat you accordingly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.