Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have red eye and painful crusty scab in the nose. Are they related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12726 Questions

I have had a painful, crusty scab inside of my left nostril for about a week. Neither saline gel not a humidifier seem to help. I addition, I woke up this morning with a very red left eye that has lasted into tonight so far. What is wrong with my nose and eye. What can i do about each, and are they related? Thanks!
What can
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The painful crusty scab in the nose is likely to be due dry nasal membranes. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters.
Other causes may include allergic rhinitis, upper respiratory infections, etc.
You can lubricate your nose with A & D ointment, Mentholatum, Polysporin/Neosporin ointment, or Vaseline.
The red eye is not likely to be related to the dry nose. It could be due to an infection or an allergic conjunctivitis. A direct examination by an ophthalmologist is mandatory for diagnosis.
If it is a case of conjunctivitis it should resolve in a few days, but I highly advise that you get an Ophthalmologist's consult to thoroughly examine you and rule out other diagnosis before starting you on any kind of specific treatment.

Eat healthy. Drink enough water. Avoid staring at computer screen for long hours. Do eyeball movement exercises to reduce strain. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Exercise daily. Remain stress free by proper exercise and try Yoga as well to help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor