Owl Image

Have red eye and painful crusty scab in the nose. Are they related?

Question

I have had a painful, crusty scab inside of my left nostril for about a week. Neither saline gel not a humidifier seem to help. I addition, I woke up this morning with a very red left eye that has lasted into tonight so far. What is wrong with my nose and eye. What can i do about each, and are they related? Thanks!
What can
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The painful crusty scab in the nose is likely to be due dry nasal membranes. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters.
Other causes may include allergic rhinitis, upper respiratory infections, etc.
You can lubricate your nose with A & D ointment, Mentholatum, Polysporin/Neosporin ointment, or Vaseline.
The red eye is not likely to be related to the dry nose. It could be due to an infection or an allergic conjunctivitis. A direct examination by an ophthalmologist is mandatory for diagnosis.
If it is a case of conjunctivitis it should resolve in a few days, but I highly advise that you get an Ophthalmologist's consult to thoroughly examine you and rule out other diagnosis before starting you on any kind of specific treatment.

Eat healthy. Drink enough water. Avoid staring at computer screen for long hours. Do eyeball movement exercises to reduce strain. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Exercise daily. Remain stress free by proper exercise and try Yoga as well to help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.