Have received handjob without condom. What are the risk of contracting HIV?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: On 4th november I visited the sex worker, she was helping me for the masturbation, means gave me the handjob. That time I not wore a condom on penis and even I don’t know she has any cut or sore on her hand when she was helping me for the masturbation, I don't know I had any kind of blood contact from her hands on tip of penis and transmitted HIV through that, I don’t have wound or cut on Penis and Pubic part, but I got the feedback one of the doctor, tip of penis is very senective and even normal blood contact could transmitted HIV, How big chances to transmitted HIV in this action, I worried after this incident please help
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Risk for HIV is negligible. Hand job is safe. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. You are absolutely safe. The information you got from the doctor is baseless. Of course, Glans penis is a very sensitive portion. It is because it has lot of sensory nerve endings and helps for tactile stimulation during sex. That does not mean that any type of blood can transmit HIV. Even if we consider that the sex worker you had contact with, is a HIV positive woman and if she has cut injuries in her hand (unless a fresh bleed), your risk for HIV through the hand job is negligible. The virus cannot live out of body fluid for even few seconds. Especially once get dried HIV cannot be viable. The safest sexual activity is hand job. Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Thank you for the feedback I have some questions, 1. If sexworker has fresh cut with bleed and she is helping me for masturbating how much chances to transmit HIV through penis Glans in this case? 2. what is perfect time to test for HIV, 1 month is enough to get proper result ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV chances remote.Antigen test conclusive 1 month Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome once again. 1.If the sex worker had fresh bleeding also the chances of getting HIV is remote only unless you also had an injury over your penile skin. 2.HIV antigen test (DNA PCR, P24 antigen test, HIV DUO/COMBO test) are suitable and conclusive to rule out HIV one month after the possible risky exposure. DR S.Murugan