Have pus filled pimples on knee, foot and thigh. Any medicine for cure?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: i am getting puss formed infected pimples on my knees foots & thighs...please suggest me ointment or medicine for the same.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
You are most probably suffering from a bacterial infection of the skin like furunculosis causing pus filled lesions ( pustules) . Rarely it may indicate an underlying immunocompromised state like diabetes or skin disorders.
First and foremost you should maintain adequate hygiene and avoid scratching the lesions to prevent their spread.
There are many antibiotic ointments ( mupirocin, fusidic acid etc) available for local application twice daily for relief from minor pustules .
However if there are any large lesions( >\= 1cm) or abscess then it might require a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin or cephalosporins to provide curative relief.
I would recommend you to consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and confirmation of diagnosis as well as to rule out any predisposing factors .
Meanwhile you can clean the region with soap and water and apply the local antibiotics 2-3 times daily for relief..
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.