Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have painful lump on chest. Pus comes out after pressing. Is this cancerous?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5759 Questions
Hi Dr XXXXXXX I've a lump on my chest for a few months and lately become painful and if press it ooze out smelly pus. Is this cancerous ? Thank you doc.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lump present on the soft tissues of the chest which gets painful and secretes a pus is most likely sebaceous cyst which has gotten infected. This is a benign lesion which contains lots of keratin masses. When infected, the pus starts accumulating in this area what irritates nerves and gives pain. It is not cancerous and can not get cancerous.

The best way of treatment is complete removal of it (with a capsule), however when pus is present is can be impossible. So it needs to be incised first, cleared from pus and healed from an inflammation.
After the inflammation will be gone it can be removed by a surgeon.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor