Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Have pain below the ball of foot. Feel like small bubble. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 150 Questions
I have pain just below the ball of my foot. It feels as though there's a small bubble of some kind there. Came on quickly during a walk two days ago.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be inflamed nerve in the foot

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

It could be soft tissue nodule, or callosity in the skin, But it is more likely neuroma ( swollen or inflammed nerve) in the foot as you had history of nerve pain

An Ultrasound scan to the foot will help making the diagnosis.

If you have any further question please write back to me.

Wish you speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain below the ball of foot. Feel like small bubble. Suggest? 33 minutes later
Thank you very much. Here are a couple of additional/related questions.

Do I need to see a local doctor for this? Or can I just take care of it myself?

Also, whether I need to see a doctor or not, do you have any suggestions about what I can do to alleviate the pain? I'm concerned that my very awkward walking due to the pain will lead to other joint issues before it goes away. I've just begun taking ibuprofen and using ice, and I guess I should stay off it as much as possible. Anything else to be done?

Also, any idea how long this is likely to last?

Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is treatment

Detailed Answer:
It is not serious condition, so if the pain is bearable you can take care of it yourself.
If it has been going for more than 4 weeks with no improvement then you can see orthopaedic doctor, or podiatrist or chiropodist who can assess it and tell you the exact diagnosis.

What you are doing already is adequate in my opinion, but it will need 2-4 weeks to settle.
However unless we have a definitive diagnosis , it will be difficult to tell you the exact treatment and how long it will last. But there is treatment for it and it should not cause further joints problems.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor