Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

161 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have normal to low BP. Feeling dizzy. CT scan showed carotid siphon calcification. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
my partner has what I believe is a normal to low blood pressure (100-110 over 60-70). but he lately has been feeling dizzy every tme he stands up. additionally in the last 6 months he has observed unvoluntary shaking of his left hand and some numbling in the mouth when he wakes up in the mornings.
at first we thought it may be dehydration as he exercises every day and don't drink enough water (he does it now) but simptons still there. he got a CT scan that says "carotid siphon calcification is noted" and we don't know whether that's ok. he is 67 and has long term estomach/colon problems for which he takes daily medication.

thanks for your time
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Having a blood pressure on the lower side is not of much consequence. Ask him to drink a lot of electrolyte containing water such as a liter of electral preparation per day.That will make him feel fresh as well as may perhaps improve his bowel issues if they are related to electrolyte levels.
The onset of involuntary movements is suggestive of a neurological insufficiency. In this age group the commonest possibility could be Parkinsonism. Calcification of the carotid siphon is age related change associated with age related degeneration of the vessels supplying the brain. The investigation of choice for accurately diagnosing his neurological problem would be MRI of the brain and upper spinal cord. Ct does not show the exact status of the nervous tissues.
A combination of good neurological examination by a neurologist along with a good MRI scan will surely help in arriving at the final diagnosis.
I hope this answers your querry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist