Have multinodular goiter, sleep apnea, short term memory loss and swallowing difficulty. Related?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I'm a 69 yr old male who has had multi nodular goiter for 25 yrs. which have been slowly increasing in size to where my thyroid is twice the normal size. T3, T4 and TSH have always been close to normal ornormal range. Many years on synth road did not decrease the size of the nodules. Fine needle biopsies show they are benign and frequent sonograms show them so numerous it's hard to get an accurate measure. I know have trouble swallowing, breathing, and a thyroidectomy is scheduled. The dr also said I have vascular congestion in my head. Could my short term memory loss be related, and will that and my obstructive sleep apnea improve as well? I am 6'1" and weigh 200lbs. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The removal of a multinodular goiter is likely to improve the pressure symptoms you are having like difficulty in swallowing, breathing, etc. It can also help with your sleep apnoea to some extent.
The short term memory loss is not associated with the thyroid nodules. Removal of the thyroid is not likely to have any affect on the dementia. Such dementia is usually seen due to age related degenerative changes in the cerebrum. There are many brain activities like quizzes, word puzzles, regular exercise, adequate sleep, etc which help considerably in reducing any further deterioration.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.