Have missed periods. How to avoid pregnancy if get positive result?

Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor, I have a query and would like you advise on this. I am a mother of 6 months old baby . My periods are very regular but this time Its been 5 days since I have missed my periods. I have still not done a pregnacy test but i feel i could be preg again. I'm in no situation to have a second baby so soon. Pls advice abt this . Is there any pill I can take to avoid this.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 10 hours later
if you test positive and don't want it means it will be an abortion which can be done medically or surgically. the first step is to do urine preg test with first morning sample. if positive to do a Transvaginal scan at 35 days from day one of last periods. you may then take abortion pills typically given over 48 hours and a repeat ultrasound after 2 weeks. I can t give you the names as a written consent on form c is a must as per govt regulations . the other method is surgical wherein ultrasound guided clearance is done under anaesthesia. best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Chetna Jain 28 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor. Will do as per your advise. Would like to know if this will affect my chances of conceiving in future. And before how many weeks can i take the pill.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 2 minutes later
normally there shouldn't be any impact on conception. pills are best taken between 5-7 weeks preg
Follow up: Dr. Chetna Jain 38 hours later
hi doc .. i did the preg test on the 5th day after i missed my cycle. The test shows negative. happy that its negative , but have a doubt if its to early to test. Last month i had taken pills to postpone my periods by a week, do you think that has affected my cycle date?
normally urine pregnancy test is positive after missed periods. to be on the safer side pl repeat the urine test after one week . normally it's recommended to do urine preg test weekly till next periods. blood preg test is more accurate than urine preg test