Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have lung infection. On tracheal intubation. Serious? Cause? Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
my fiancee XXXXXXX 44 is in the hospital for 2 weeks now and Dr's gave him antibiotic resistant infection in his lungs and said it is very serious.. Dr. put him Tracheal Intubated and for weeks now and he's body is fighting very hard against the infections, he cannot speak .. Just yesterday, Dr. trying taking off tracheal intubation to see how his lungs functioning and Dr said, not good and had to put it back on ? Ooh God, What is really cause to have lungs infections? I am so worry because I am his fiancee and he don't want me to visit him in the hospital and her sister said that he dont want me to worry and see him like that. I do not understand that is why I contacted Dr to see what really causing his lungs infection and how did it happen ? Thank you

1.What really cause for it?
2. Is he gonna be better?
3. is this contageous/ virus? no one is allowed to visit him
4. Is this symptoms of Cancer ? already Cancer ?
5. How serious is this?

Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

From the information you have given me, your fiancee must be in intensive care as he has a tracheal tube. This means he is needing help with his breathing. As he has been in hospital for 2 weeks, his medical condition will be complex. I will attempt to answer your questions as fully as possible.

1) He will have undergone many investigations which obviously I do not have the details of. He now has a serious pneumonia however, I cannot say why he has this pneumonia from the information you have given. Patients on intensive care would usually have regular screens to identify any infections and the microbiologist would be reviewing any positive results and making sure the antibiotics are appropriate. When infecting organism can be found, as sometimes happens, then patients would be put on broad-spectrum antibiotics appropriate to their current condition. So I'm sure he will be getting the best drugs for his infection even if the doctors are not sure exactly what is causing it.

2) It is difficult to comment at this stage of his illness as to whether he will recover. The doctors on intensive care must feel that he has a reasonable chance of recovery if they are continuing to treat him.

3) The fact you cannot visit does not necessarily mean that he is contagious. Intensive care units are very busy around all day and night. Sometimes this means there few times during the day that families can visit. You may want to speak to the staff to ask why you are not being allowed to see him.

4) This is not necessarily a sign of cancer. There are many causes of lung infections.

5) As he is in intensive care then it is a serious illness.

My suggestion to you would be to arrange to speak to one of the intensive care doctors to get fully updated about your fiancee's condition to put your mind at rest.

I hope this information has be helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions.

Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor