• question-icon

What causes severe cough along with profuse sweating?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a severe cough for 3 days - nothing comes up cough is worse when laying down but I can barely go a couple of minutes without coughing. Sweating profusely. Earlier was achy like flu those symptoms went away. Cannot sleep, eat or hardly drink - have tried mussinex, allergy/sinus meds etc nothing is helping.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
infectious cough can be difficult to deal with

Detailed Answer:

if you don't have fever then this is probably a common (viral usually) upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). URTI commonly presents with cough and sometimes the cough can be irritating and difficult to deal with. Depending on the patient's history there are various interventions the doctor may try. For example for a patient without any history cough suppressive drugs can be tried. Opioid formulations are the most potent ones. If you can't get a medical prescription for such a drug then other common anti-cough medicines can be tried but do not expect the cough to disappear. It can only get a little better...

If you have a medical history like asthma for example then modifying your anti-asthmatic medications may help. During the course of infections, patients with asthma may require higher dosages of the inhaled drugs.

Other drugs that may help with cough include the antihistamines either directly (due to an allergic component in your cough) or indirectly (by reducing nasal discharge which may be a cause of cough).

So if you've tried everything but nothing seems to work, you can't do anything but be patient! Check the ingredients of your drugs or post them here, so I can tell you. If you've taken anti-cough and antihistamine medications then there's little you can do...

If you have fever then you should talk with your doctor. Fever with cough can be caused by anything between a mild URTI and a severe pneumonia, so a diagnosis is of utmost importance.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis