Does a patient diagnosed with H1N1 require ICU admission?

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Doctor ,

My mother 56 years of age was suffering from fever and breathless XXXXXXX yesterday she was diagnosed with H1N1 .enclosing her test report . doctor has shifter her to RCU. Do you think there was need to shift to RCU and is case critical. as per doctor she is breathing with 2 liter oxygen.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, she should be treated in ICU only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the images you have attached.
Swine flu infection in old age can deteriorate rapidly (within hours). It causes bilateral severe pneumonia and ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) and ultimately death.
She already have breathlessness and bilateral mid, lower zone pneumonia. She is also requiring additional oxygen support. So she is ideal candidate for ICU admission.
Her condition is definitely critical.
Just make sure she is receiving oseltamivir (antiviral) according to weight twice daily.
It is the only effective drug for swine flu virus.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
enclosing CT scan report.. your view please
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan is suggestive of viral pneumonia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the CT report.
This report is suggestive of viral pneumonia only.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist