Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have hypertension, low thyroid, diabetic and spinal stenosis. On percocet. Feel drowsy. Having chronic pain. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
the doc.put my husband on percocet.the med,did not help with the pain and he was very drowsy. we wanted to try a different med but dr. said if percocet did not work no other opiates would husband was told to take as many as 12 tyl.#3 a day as they do give him some husband would like to get rid of the pain,it seems to have reall worn him down as i think chronic pain does . we need to get some answers and get him back to his old happy self.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello ma'am.

I can understand you are concerned about your husband. I am assuming your husband is experiencing chronic pain due to the spinal stenosis.

Your should know that treatment for pain caused due to spinal stenosis includes pain killers like NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), anti-depressants, muscle relaxants, and opioids. Out of these, the strongest are opioids, and the opioid your husband has been prescribed is also quite strong, so I would agree with your doctor. Is the pain being managed by pain specialist? or local GP? If you had not met the pain specialist he may try few combinations but it does not guarantee a complete pain relief as you are looking for.

In my opinion, the next best treatment option would be surgery to reduce the pain, which should be considered when conservative treatment has failed. But there is no specific type of surgery, and it all depends on the specific individual presentation. In some patients a part of the vertebral body causing the stenosis is removed; at times two vertabral bodies are fused to reduce pressure; and so on. But the location for surgery is a very delicate area, and it risks infection. So please discuss the same with a well experienced spine specialist.

Other treatment options include: physiotherapy and steroid injections. I hope this information was helpful. Please write back to me for any further clarifications.

God bless you and your husband with good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hypertension, low thyroid, diabetic and spinal stenosis. On percocet. Feel drowsy. Having chronic pain. Suggest? 10 hours later
your answer did help,one of our main concerns is the dr. does not initiate the measuresyou mentioned. XXXXXXX has tried the cortisone shots but they gave very limited relief. he is also going to try acupuncture. we are going to see an orthopedic surgeon who we have heard good things about and perhaps he can help,at least it is another opinion. we probably will have a 2 or 3 yr. wait to see a neurosurgeon.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Hello once again ma'am.

A 2-3 year wait to see a neurosurgeon is way too long; can't you try consulting doctors at private clinics or at an ER? Extreme pain can be considered an emergency as well.

I would also like to add that an orthopedic surgeon will be able to help, but if possible, try to get in touch with a spine specialist, they would have the expertise required to help XXXXXXX (especially if we consider surgery to be an option).

I am really sorry I cannot help with setting an appointment up for XXXXXXX as the health system in your country is totally different from what it is in mine. I really hope basic necessities like consultation with a specialist would be made simpler and quicker.

God bless XXXXXXX and you, and I really hope we can find a quick and sure solution for XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor