Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
Hi Team,
My son has some hernia problems in testicals.. sometimes it gets bulged and sometime it will be normal. Consulted few doctors around here they insisted for a operation and I am scared to get this done at a age of 3 . I have gone through few articales online and found that hernia even occurs to a new born babys as well and few online forums suggested that it will fix the problem of hernia automatically by the age of 5 years.
My question here is does this hernia problem is serious which has to attained now or do I wait till 5 years or what is your suggestion on this.Baby does't have any pain or any issues with it
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.
I think an early and elective surgery is preferable. You should not wait till the child gets older.
Hernias create problems only when they get complicated.
In groin hernia, some part of gut slips into scrotum through a gap in abdomen muscles. If the contents of hernia go back to abdomen in few hours or on lying down, then risk is gone.
But at times the gut part of hernia may get stuck after coming down and may cause serious complications like obstruction that may require emergency surgery.
To not take such a chance… elective and early surgery is preferable and safe.

So if you have noticed a hernia atleast two times a month… please get operated.
I hope this clears your doubts. Do write back if any further clarification needed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem? 2 days later
Thanks you for the qucik response Doctor.
I wanted to know the complete details of hernia...What exactly is it and on operation what doctors will do to his testicals.How critical will it be and how can we identify when its gets to complication
I even wanted to know whether there will be any side effects on performing the oprerations as it is related to the testicals....
And any suggestions on which hospital or Doctor i consult..

I am very much afraid when I get to know that my baby has to go through operation
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later

Thanks for following up.

In your son's case, the hernia is a bag / sac containing part of gut that slips from tummy to the scrotum through an abnormal / normal opening.

It usually causes asymptomatic swelling that goes back (reduces) into the abdomen upon lying or mechanical modifications. When it stops going back (become unreducible) promptly within four hours or lying down… it may start getting complicated sooner.

Surgery is very simple in children and needs to be done by pediatric surgeon when available. The procedure has nothing to do with testes. Surgeon makes a small cut in groin… looks for the bag in which gut comes down, cuts the sac and ties it off - such surgery is called herniotomy and child can be walking from next day.

I am not sure of your location. I will be able to guide you to a hospital if you are planning for the surgery in Mumbai.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have hernia problems in testicle. How to fix this problem? 14 hours later
Thanks for your response Doctor...

I am from hyderabad...if you can suggest a hospital and doctor will be a great help

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
You will surely find a specialist at M G hospital.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor