Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
Hello, I've had a red raised blotch on my penis right about the head for 2 weeks's not painful or itchy, and just appeared there. its only on one side. it appears to look like a soft growth. sometimes appears dry but not cracking or leaking anything. It looks like eczema, (which i have had before) but I'm NOT sure. haven't had it before. I have Gen Herpes but it doesn't look like a breakout at all, nor does it look like syphllis. I've put aloe vera gel and Hydrogen Peroxide on it, also, I had a folliculitus breakout a month ago, i was given a cream that cleared that up. This also appeared after a very HOT and humid day in los angeles. what could this be and im sure I'd have to visit my primary doc, just tryig to get some knowledge. I'm sorry, the red raised oval sized blotch is BELOW the penis head, on shaft of Right side.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the information you submitted I suspect that you are dealing with a mild fungal infection. Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes redness, itching and peeling of the skin.

The generally best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a prescription for this. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone.

I would expect the areas of irritation to slowly respond and improve over two to three weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 8 hours later
great thanks so much. Sounds like your saying I need to get like Over the counter Lotromin or get a prescription for Lotrisone. I'mm make an appt with my doc and get hopefully, It should be nothing more than that. I've done my research on Syphlliss lesions and it DEFINATLY isn't that. I've already told U about my other issue and I also KNOW it isn't that. Wish i could send a pic just so you can SEE what this is to make certain but I will consult my physician. Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side. Or do care to send it to
YYYY@YYYY with my name (Attn : Dr XXXXXXX Tayal ) in the subject.
However a direct examination by a dermatologist will be confirmatory.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 6 days later
OK, I'll be seeing a doctor this week. I will be sending you a couple of pics just for your review. I just wanna make certain. Thanks so much for your attention. I just uploaded two pics of my fungal infection. Hope you are able to assist. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I have seen the photographs attached with the query. It seems to be a fugal infection or dermatitis. Lotrisone should help in clearing off these lesions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 14 hours later
Ok thanks so much! I'll b heading to doctor today to clear it up.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again through my profile URL
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor