Have had a movable and painful lump on jawbone. Is it a swollen parotoid gland?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a lump in front of my right ear on my jawbone for 3 days. It's the size of a nickel. It is hard, slightly move-able, and slightly painful. I had a tiny sore throat last week but otherwise I'm healthy. I have eczema on my eyelids and the eye on the right side has been a bit worse than the left for about a week. My gland on the right side under my jaw has been swollen for a few days as well. Does this sound like my parotoid gland is swollen? What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The exact location of the lump, it's exact size and characteristics will help identify the cause. Is it soft, firm or hard? Is the overlying skin normal or discolored? Is it growing in size? Is it pulsatile? Is it compressible?

2. The most common cause will be an inflamed lymph node (there are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region). The lymph node of the tonsil is known as the Jugulo Digastric (JD) node and is next to the angle of the jaw in the neck. Other painless lumps include the salivary glands, thyroid nodules, laryngoceles, cysts, bursas, lipomas, and so on.

3. Get a physician's opinion. Get Neck X-rays and an Ultrasound of the Neck done by a Radiologist. Sometimes a CT Neck Scan will be advised to rule out deeper extensions. A FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) by a Pathologist will settle the diagnosis.

4. Get a videolaryngosocpy done. This is important as you had a sore throat.

5. Since you also have a flare up of eczema, this lump may be a lymph node or an auto-immune reaction.

6. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.