Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have extreme pain below ribs. Hysterectomy left scar tissue. Have arthritis and knee replacement. Related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5759 Questions
I have extreme pain on my left side below my ribs.
The hysterectomy left scar tissue so when I had a colonoscopy they couldn't get beyond the first corner due to pain, 2010. Could the scar tissue interfere with the colon causing this pain?
I do have a high pain tolerance. I do have some arthritis. Other than that and the total knee replacement, I am healthy. Worked as a construction laborer till I had the last surgery, 30 years. Any ideas regarding my pain?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, scar tissue can cause such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, scar tissue can interfere with your colon. But not the scar you can see on the skin. Please note that every abdominal surgery causes adhesions in the abdominal cavity. Such adhesions can impede or even obstruct intestine. Due to such obstruction you can have abdominal pain, bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea.
Moreover, other large intestine issues like tumors can affect colon in the same way.
If you have any lump in the skin scar area, hernia in it is also possible and can give similar symptoms.
Upper left side pain can be also caused by peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or H.Pylori infection.

I suggest you to visit your doctor. Physical examination should be done to palpate possible hernia. Your colonoscopy should be done once again but this time in sedation. Abdominal ultrasound should be done as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor