Have dirt surrounding with mucus in eye. No pain. Use contact lens. Any serious matter?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, I had a small speck of dirt inner part of my eye - slightly higher than the corner of my eye, There was some mucus surrounding the dirt and it was unsually difficult to remove. When I did remove it, the spec of dirt appeared to be underneath a clear membrane that started to peel, very easily, away from the corner of my eye. I was very shocked and smoothed it back. The spec of dirt was removed and there had been a hair caught up in the mucus/dirt too. I am concerned as I have never experienced this before and wondered if I have done some damage? There was no pain or discomfort, but I am concenred that I may have loosened something when trying to remove the spec of dirt - of course this feeling could be simply that I am very sensitive to how my eye feels at the moment. I've tried to research on google to see if I could identifiy this layer, but there is nothing that I have found I recognise as being the same thing. I wear daily soft contact lens and have XXXXXXX for many years. I have no medical problems and have had no issues with my eyes or contact lens. I'm a 49 year old female in good health.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for sending your query to us.
This was a forignbody which needed removal.It was good that you were able to remove it.There is nothing that you could do wrong in these situations.
There is only one situation which is difficult inyour case that is you usin a contact lens.
Contact lenses requires some special management as compered to non cl users.
Since you are OK even after removing this particle that means you are OK.
At best you can put a lubricating drop,remember that no drop to be put in with contact lenses on .
Get back to me in case of any further query in 4his regard.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Dear Dr Misra, Many thanks for your reply. May I just inquire if the eye has such a thin membrane that moves so easily in this way - when I say easily, it appeared to be that the foreign body with mucus, must have been at the edge of the membrane and slightly underneath so that as I gently created some contact to remove the foreign body and extracted it from my eye, the membrane also began to come away with it. If so what is this membrane and will any dislodgement of it correct itself over time?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back to us.
This membrane in question is called conjunctiva.This is very thin,mobile and elastic.That is the first line of defence for the eye.it moves easily.
I think you are through with this episode with no damage.
Do get back to me in case of any further query.