Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have diarrhea, weight loss and increased body temperature. Had unprotected sex. AIDS?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
For the last couple of weeks I have had diarrhea, weight loss and increased body temperature. I had unprotected sex on April 11. Both she and I were tested for HIV in January and were clean, so it's unlikely that's the cause, though I will get test for HIV on Monday. The symptoms have been going on for about 2 weeks. My sexual partner is also experiencing the same symptoms. What do you think it could be?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Since you and your partner,both are having same symptoms of diarrhoea and fever,the chances of bacterial infection or parasitic infections are very high.
Such type of infections occur due to consumption of contaminated food or water.
Bacterial infections could be salmonella,shigella,E.coli,campylobacter etc
While parasitic infections could be due to giardia or entamoeba histolytica.
The chances of parasitic infection become more if you have travelled to some developing country or any place outside USA.
Ideally you should get your stool tested for the presence of micro organism and then take treatment accordingly.
In the mean time take plenty of oral fluids to avoid dehydration and may take Tylenol for fever.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor