Have diarrhea and headache with low body temperature. Had abortion. Can it be a symptom of UTI?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I have a low body temperature of 95.1 degrees. I am a 18 year old female. I had a cough a few days ago which I thought was going to turn into a cold. I started getting diarrhea and headaches about two days ago. Now I am nauseous and still have mild diarrhea. I'm feeling a little dizzy and am experience a slight pain every so often in what I believe is my right kidney. Im prone to like one. The only thing I've been exposed to that I can think of was about four days ago; I ate a big spoonful of cereal and then after tasting it, I looked at the milk carton and it was almost a month old. I also had an abortion two weeks ago and forgot to take the antibiotics they sent home. But, I have no bleeding or fever so I don't think it's an infection caused by that. I also haven't gotten my flu shot, but it seems a little bit drawn out for the flu. That's all the info I have, thanks!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 44 minutes later
Hello ,
Considering the details you have provided your hypothermia( low body temperature) & dizziness could be most probably due to hypotension and dehydration which could either be due to any gastrointestinal infection viral or bacterial or any XXXXXXX bleeding or abscess.Pain in abdomen ( renal or intestinal region) can be present in any of them.
Please note that , fever is a body defense mechanism and may not always accompany infections infact some infections can present with hypothermia too especially if there is significant severe inflammation or XXXXXXX hemolysis (bleeding).
The fact that you have had a abortion two weeks ago and didn't take an antibiotic course makes you more prone to genitourinary / abdominal infection and sepsis.
Though you feel fine I would recommend you not to neglect your symptoms and consult your doctor or gynaecologist as soon as feasible .
It's important that you get your vital parameters ( pulse , Bp , hydration, per abdomen findings ) examined and if required go for further investigation as advised ( X-ray , blood counts , ultrasound etc) .
Atleast the doctor can conclude the most probable diagnosis on examination and rule out any severe cause ( sepsis or hemorrhage etc) so that appropriate treatment can be started.
Meanwhile the most important thing you can do is to drink plenty of fluids to maintain your hydration . Taking a probiotic and zinc supplement will help in faster recovery if any gastrointestinal infection is confirmed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Feel free to clear any further doubts ,