Have dark marks on cheek below eye. Not cured by dermadew aloe cream. Any suggestion?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: I've a mild dark marks on my two cheeks just below the eyes outward corners. 2 years back i went to a dermatologist & used Fash face wash and Dermadew Calow cream. No improvement. So I stoped cream, still using face wash. Please suggest a better option.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

To treat your pigmentation problem I would advise certain medicines and general recommendations
1) Use a good sunscreen of SPF more than 30 even if you are staying indoors
2) Take oral vitamin c and antioxidant supplements
3) Use a Glycolic acid based face wash
4) Apply Kojic acid, liquorice arbutin based cream like kojivit in the morning and a triple combination cream containing hydroquinone, tretinoin and mometasone cream like skinlite or melalite XL in night. Use these for three weeks only. If in case irritation or redness appears, stop using the same immediately. Do not rub these creams, apply them gently in a very small amount.

I would also request you to send an image of your concerned area, so that I can give you an appropriate reply.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Please give some good names of sunscreen, antioxidant, face wash and cream.
I'll send my skin image by tomorrow.
Are kojivit,skinlite or melalite XL will be availabe in pharmacy.

Thank you with regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.
1)You can use shadowz sunscreen or photoban sunscreen or melaguard sunscreen whichever is available.
2)As far as antioxidants are concerned you can take exerge HC or oxidant plus.
3)You can use a neutrogena salicylic acid based face wash or Glycolic acid based one like aha glow.
4) kojivit, skinlite or melalite XL are easily available.

However, I would request you to send an image of concerned area, as it would help me in assisting you more. While using these medicines, it is always better to remain in a dermatologist's follow up as these are prescription drugs.