Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have curved spine, spots on body and diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Are these related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
My 8 year old daughter has a curved spine and we recently found out she has hypothyroidism. Are the two things related. She has started thryroid meds and is now covered in spots. The doctors are having no reaction when I bring her in. These are of course the same docs that missed her completely inactive thyroid for the last 4 years. She is also having heart valve problems. Please help me figure out what to do for her and where to take her next. She has seen the endrocrinologist, now we are looking for heart and back doctors. Should we also seek out a dermatologist. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concern regarding the health challenges of your daughter.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong. Your daughter is having the following problems:
1. Heart valve problem
2. Curved spine
3. Hypothyroidism
4. Spots on her body

I would like to have more details of each of the four issues ennumerated above:
1. What is the echocardiography reports?
2. Where is the curve of the spine? What are the radiological findings? Is there any neurological involvement with it?
3. Is there complete inactivity of the thyroid gland or less activity? If there is "complete inactivity" as you have mention then there should be other associated findings.
4. How big and what type of spots are there on the body? Are they increasing in size? When did they start appearing?

When there are a number of congenital problems in a child we try to fit it into a syndrome. However it shall be difficult to come to a definite conclusion on this platform without examining and having all the relevant details/investigations. I hope you appreciate it.

My suggestion to you will be to take your pediatrician into confidence. With him as the team leader the concerned specialities can be coordinated to manage your daughter.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarification or would like to share any fresh information.

Wishing your daughter all the best..


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor