Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have condylitis in rib cage. Not cured by ibuprofen and tylenolwith codeine. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12060 Questions
hi my daughter went to the er dept on saturday they told her she has condylitis in her rib cage they gaveher ibuprofen and tylenolwith codeine she still is in a lot of pain . could you explain this condition to me ,she had a chest exray and those were the findings . thankyou YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The condyles of the ribs are cartilage that attaches the ribs to the sternum.
Inflammation in this area can be called condylitis or more commonly costochondritis. There is also another condition called Tietze syndrome which is similar but associated with swelling of the costal cartilages (this is treated with NSAIDS and rest with resolution of the symptoms within weeks).

It is an inflammatory process of this joint area that can present with severe pain which may be sharp/nagging/aching, made worse by movement of the trunk, taking a XXXXXXX breath or exerting one self.If the pain is really bad some persons may also feel short of breath.
The exact cause is not known as yet but it is thought that repeated minor trauma is the most likely cause.
It is treated with anti inflammatory medication such as the ibuprofen that you mentioned.
Some persons obtain relief by the application of local heat.It would also be important to minimize any activity.
It may take a few days before your daughter feels any better but if the pain is unbearable she may want to consider asking her doctor for a stronger anti inflammatory pain medication or for the dose to be increased temporarily till she gets some relief.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon.Feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor