Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have circular bruise area on groin and leg pain. Blood test showed low calcium. Suspected of Paget's disease

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6166 Questions
circular bruise type area on left groin and some pain in left leg also noticed a calcium loss in a blood test dr. thinks I may have Pagets disease
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information to make this diganosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear about this pain and the calcium loss that has lead to the suspicion of Paget's disease in you. Let's throw some more light on this.

Paget's disease typically presents with an enlarged skull and frontal bossing and bowing of an extremity. Also, an area of warmth and pain on an extremity may suggest this, too. It is confirmed using radiographic evidence on X-ray films and blood tests which show an increase in the markers of this disease(serum alkaline phosphatase and hydroxyproline). Calcium levels are generally NORMAL.

From the above, it is evident that you need more testing before settling on this diagnosis. It is a right thing to have though of but needs more investigations before settling on this and more so because the clinical presentation is not typical and the calcium loss not a common feature of this disease.

You would need more evaluation about this groin bruise and pain. Special emphasis should be focused on any possible trauma as a possible cause and duration of this bruise. If it just occurred, my first suggestion is that you monitor over weeks and gather more information that can be more guiding. Also, a physical exam would be of great help, too.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask follow up questions for more clarification.
Thank you so much for this opportunity to address your query today.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor