Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have chronic flank pain. CT scan negative. Take hydrocodone. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
I have chronic right flank pain. Level 9 and 10. I have been to hospital for ct scan they can not see anything.
I have had the pain 7 years and it is worse now than ever. I take hydrocodone 500mg 3 times daily.
Also 2700 mg. gabapintin. I am 62 yr. old female with chrons with now symtoms of that. My pain is low and high
and around to back under ribs. I have had galbladder checked 4 times. Not it. They do not help at the Doctor
tell me to go to pain clinic. I have had 5 shots that never helped in my back. I have had every mri you Doctors do.
They tell me they do not know what is wrong. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The severe pain in the right flank with no detectable pathology on CT scan is suggestive of a nerve related pain. It can be due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord or a neuropathic pain. Such pains are difficult to control with the help of pain killers. Medicines like Pregabalin or Gabapentin can help you.
It is best to consult a neurologist for a proper diagnosis. Sometimes Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation ( TENS) helps in relieving such kind of pains.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor