Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have burning pain in rib area. CT scan, ultrasound and blood work normal. What's wrong?

Answered by
Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari

Spine Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 322 Questions

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have a burning type pain in the right rib flank area for almost a year ct scan and ultra sound discovered nothing blood work looks good. i have had shingles in the past , but i haven't had any skin rash or redness on or near area the pain seems to travel down sometimes
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 6 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Shingles cause burning pain along the nerve distribution. Although the skin lesions go away but sometimes the nerve function takes long time to recover.

Therefore the absence of skin lesions does not rule out the possibility of shingles. If this is a persistent problem with significant pain then I would consider doing an intercostal block where we give a local steroid injection at the nerve site.

Have you tried Pregabalin with methylcobalamine tablet? That may help too.

If there are any doubts regarding the distribution of pain, I would suggest you to consult a competent doctor/spine surgeon who can carefully examine you and classify the real cause.

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Let me know if you have any other doubts.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 6 hours later
the pain is along the ribs the bottom 4ribs running from right below the right shoulder blade down to about 2 inches from hip bone
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 10 hours later

Thanks for the inputs.

The way you describe this pain, it may not be related to shingles. Shingles cause pain which is usually horizontal along the nerve distribution.

What you may have could be a non-specific muscle ache. Please try some physio modalities such as IFT / TENS and also local measures such as ice application. I also suggest consulting a neurologist for a detailed neurological examination to rule out neurogenic pain. Neurogenic pain will need medicines as suggested in my earlier reply (pregabalin) to calm down the irritable nerve.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Chickenpox

doctor1 MD

I had shingles last September and was put on gabapentin for nerve damage. Now my left eye and cheek twitches and the left cheek is painful. I have shingles again. Why do I have cheek pain and twitching. The eye dr said the eye twitching might be due to dry eye.

doctor1 MD

I notice that the symptoms listed do not include something that is happening to me. Sorry, but right under my left breast, I am having severe pain under the skin. Comes and goes. I was just wondering if this is one of the symptoms of internal shingles. It is very painful at times - I have had a little on the left side also, very concerned about this and wondering if I should go ahead and see my doctor about it. Thanks

doctor1 MD

My mother is suffering from herpes zoster. We approached Dr. M. Prasad as he was the nearest doctor to our house. He treated my mother with 5 days injection as well as medicine course. But she still has pain in her face on the left side. We would like you to examine her situation as we came to know that herpes can cause blindness and deafness. For that, we would like to see you buy we do not know where your clinic is.

doctor1 MD

my 8 year old son has red blotches on his penis and scrotum.some have popped up in the last couple hours,he is currently taking augmenton for another infection.he has 2 spots on his stomach also.could this be chicken pox or an allergic reaction to the augmenton?

doctor1 MD

For the past 11-months I have survived a case of shingles , with the resulting left-side back and stomach rash and itching approaching zero, which I understand is about the 1-year normal cycle for this condition. I was reading in yesterday's...

doctor1 MD

What can can cause a rash all over body after a high fever and flu like symptoms in an adult?

doctor1 MD

my 6 yrs son is having fever . There are 5~6 pipmles in his body, developed in last 2 days. Fever is started just now, body is little warm temperature is 99. seems to be its first stage of chickenpox . plz suggest.